Sat, 29 Jan|
Donard Car Park
HIKE - anuary: Health and Wellness Series, Week 5 - Slieve Donard
The 5th and final week on our Healthy Hike Series takes us to the biggest one of the lot, the roof of Northern Ireland - Slieve Donard!
Time & Location
29 Jan 2022, 08:30 – 14:00 GMT
Donard Car Park, 5 Donard Park, Newcastle BT33 0HL, UK
About The Event
Location: Donard Park, Newcastle
Activity Length: Approx 5.5 hours
Elevation gain: 853 metres
Suitable for: Adults and accompanied teens
It's the last hike in the HIKE - ANUARY: Health and Wellness Seriees!!! For our last challenge of the month, we're going to take you up hill number one as far as the Mournes are concerned, the biggest in the range and the roof of the country, Slieve Donard!!
Plan For The Day
Meeting at Donard Park, Newcastle, we'll do the usual brief and kit check, and get stuck straight into the day ahead.
As soon as you leave the car park, we head steeply up through the Donard wood, passing some of the most stunning waterfalls in the Mournes, before crossing out on to the open mountain. Here, we pass the centuries old ice house set into the side of the river, and walk across the valley from the daunting cliffs at "Eagles Rocks". After this, we head up the steep manmade steps that take us to the saddle between Donard and Commedagh, where we are treated to more class views of the whole range. The final push to the summit is hard, but worth it as on a clear day you can see Belfast in the North, Howth island in the South, and the Isle Of Man to the East - pretty impressive!
After lunch, pictures, and time spent on the top of Northern Ireland, we'll return the way we came, finishing in Donard car park where there is the well known Ohare's bar, with lovely pints and delicious food.
The whole trip out should take around 5 / 6 hours including breaks, and is suitable for anyone with a determined mindset and moderate level of fitness.
Other Hikes In This Series
- Slieve Fadda & Knockshee, Sunday the 2nd January
- Slieve Binnian, Saturday the 8th January
- Long Seefin & Rocky Mountain, Saturday 15th January
- Slieve Meelmore & Meelbeg, Saturday the 22nd January
- Qualified Mountain Leaders (at least 10 years experience each)
- First aid and emergency care cover
- High quality digital pictures and videos for you to look back on
- Loads of fun and memories for life!
What to bring:
- Completed registration form
- Any medication you may need
- Well broken in mountain boots
- Lots of light layers
- Waterproof coat and trousers
- Big warm layer for stops / emergency (down jacket or similar)
- Water and food for the hill
- flask of tea / coffee
- Head torch
- Bivvy bag
If we need to cancel or postpone because of covid restrictions (or dangerous weather), we will offer a full refund or credit note.
If YOU CANCEL, we can only offer a credit note, and only if you do this at least 48 hours before the event. PLEASE READ THE FULL TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON THE BOOKING PAGE THAT FOLLOWS THIS DESCRIPTION
Includes a guided hike up Slieve Donard, with qualified Mountian Leaders.