Sat, 04 Sept|
Cranfield Bay Holiday Park
Introduction to SUP Skills Course - 4 Week.
Love the idea of SUP boarding but don't know how to get involved? Look no further! This course is suitable for NON SWIMMERS
Time & Location
04 Sept 2021, 10:00 – 12:30 BST
Cranfield Bay Holiday Park, 21 Americam Lane, Kilkeel BT34 4LN, UK
About The Event
This 4 week long intro to SUP Skills course will show you how to be safe in the water and also introduce you to some stunning locations in which to spend some quality chill time on the water.
Each week, we will meet at Cranfield beach, Kilkeel - or at a couple of other destinations 20 minutes or so away (weather dependent) - for a two and half hour session covering progressive paddling technique, rescue skills and planning skills, all of which are absolutely vital in the difference between an epic outdoor experience and an epic outdoor disaster.
Our SUP skills are taught in a fun and relaxed style, often through games designed to test a certain technique or by going on spectacular journeys in stunning natural environments - and of course there is usually a LOT of falling / jumping into the water too! Don't worry if you're nervous in the water or can't swim at all, our staff (and equipment) are well used to helping people like you overcome boundaries in an easy, no pressure way.
By the end of the course, you should have a good understanding about how to plan a safe and fun trip on the water and also a good idea of where to find some awesome little spots across the country to go to enjoy paddle boarding. You definitely won't be a pro after 4 sessions, but you'll definitely be hooked on the water like we are!
Saturday 4th September 10am - 12:30pm
Saturday 11th September, 10am - 12:30pm
Saturday 18th September, 10am - 12:30pm
Saturday 25th September, 10am - 12:30pm
Cost: £150 pp for the full course - 4 x 2.5 hour sessions of paddle board instruction
Adults and teens aged 12+ (under 18's must be accompanied by an adult)
Typical content of the course (this will vary with people's ability and progression):
- Meet at a designated spot each week (determined by both weather and ideal location for that part of the course)
- Introduction to safety equipment needed and different types of SUP board available
- Getting onto your board and basic paddling strokes
- How to paddle in different environmental conditions
- Self rescue and rescuing your friends if you fall off / in an emergency
- Understanding environmental conditions and how they affect us and our SUP boards (tide, wind, hazards etc)
- Using weather forecasts & local knowledge to plan a safe trip
- Knowledge of SUP opportunities in Ireland, the UK and abroad (clubs, governing bodies etc)
- 4 weeks of instruction by experienced and fun paddlesport Instructors
- Use of all technical equipment
- First aid cover and insurance
- Digital pictures and videos of your course
- Post course notes to remind you of content covered ,with useful links to online media
- Hot drinks and snacks afterwards to warm up after each session
What to Bring:
- Clothing and equipment on attached kit list
- Completed Health Declaration & Registration Form
- Any medication you may need
- Loads of energy for the water!!
Should government restrictions come into effect on the date of the course which would prevent us from running the activity, we will offer alternative dates on which to take part in the activity, or a credit note to the value of the missed activity, which can be used against any of our services or events.
4 Week Intro To SUP Skills
Includes 4 x 2.5 hour sessions of SUP Board instruction