Introduction to Navigation and Hill Skills.
Time & Location
About The Event
Learning at least the basics of navigation as well as the associated "hill skills" are an absolutely ESSENTIAL part of your mountain tool kit in order to remain safe and self sufficient in the mountains.
Our Introduction to Navigation Course is a one day event designed to give you a good foundation of skills and knowledge on which to build upon with practice after the course. It will give loads of invaluable information that will help keep you and your friends safe and happy in the mountains, giving you the confidence to go anywhere in the world, confident that you know where you are at all times - and also how to find yourself again if you do get lost!
We cover the following topics on this course:
- Interpreting weather forecasts
- Preparing a route card
- Equipment needed for the hill
- Using the map to navigate
- Introduction to navigational aids (distance, time measuring and compass)
- Taking a bearing
- Walking on a bearing
- Dealing with emergencies on the mountain
- Fully qualified and experienced Mountain Leaders to teach you all the skills you'll need
- Post course notes to remind you of content covered ,with useful links to online media
- Tailored content specifically for you
- Use of our maps and compasses (but we encourage you to bring your own if you have them)
- A guaranteed good day's craic out in the hills with lots of learning to be had!
What to bring:
- A completed Health Declaration & Registration Form
- Any medication you may need
- Good hiking boots that are well broken in
- Map and compass if you have them
- A digital wrist watch or stopwatch - to measure timing
- A rucksack with waterproof liner
- Head torch with spare batteries
- Emergency bivvy
- Fully charged mobile
- Water proof jacket and trousers
- Additional warm layers for emergency (down jacket for example)
- Lots of light top layers
- Hat and gloves
- Lunch and water
- Flask of hot drink
- Additional food for emergency
Should government restrictions come into effect on the date of the course which would prevent us from running the activity, we will offer alternative dates on which to take part in the activity, or a credit note to the value of the missed activity, which can be used against any of our services or events.
- Navigation and Hill Skills£55£550£0