Beginners Rock Climbing Course - 4 Weeks
Time & Location
About The Event
I bet when some of you look at this event, you get all sorts of mixed feelings. "Wow, looks cool!", or maybe "looks scary!", or "is that safe, looks crazy!" or maybe even "I'm not strong enough to do that!" These feelings are totally normal, but thankfully we can help you with your worries.
HOW STRONG DO YOU NEED TO BE? - Believe or not but you DON'T need to be really strong or fit to climb well, if you do it right and listen to our instruction you'll find that you primarily use your legs to get up the rock face and only use your arms for balancing. If you can walk up a set of stairs you can rock climb.
BEING AFRAID - If you think it's too scary for you, well feel at ease by the fact that all of our instructors once started off exactly like you, so we know how you feel, and more importantly we know how to DEAL WITH FEAR. It's just another skill to learn, and thankfully we can teach it to you, in a relaxed progressive course set to YOUR pace. The best thing is it transfers across to the rest of your life too - how scary is a work presentation after scaling a 100 foot cliff??
SAFETY - If safety is your concern, we have it covered. All of our systems follow approved industry standard methods, and are always backed up with additional support. They're also operated easily by instructors with at least a decade of experience each, so e ALWAYS have your safety in mind. Did you know you can hang 2.2 TONNES off one of our ropes?
Read on for details about the course
10th April, 10am - 1pm
17th April, 10am - 1pm
24th April, 10am - 1pm
1st May, 10am - 5pm
Cost: £190 pp for the full course - 3 half days + 1 full day of instruction
Adults and teens aged 14+ (under 18's must be accompanied by an adult)
This 4 week long course will give you a solid introduction into what climbing is really all about. it's suitable for complete beginners with only an average level of fitness required.
Meeting at a different Mourne Mountains based location every week for a single session of 3 to 4 hours long - except for the last day which is a full 7 to 8 hour day - we will show you the basics of climbing technique and give you an introduction to rope skills as well. We will get you climbing on different rock types, climbing different styles of routes and climbing in both small quarry environments and high mountain crags! At the end of the course you definitely won't be an independent climber as this takes years to achieve safely, but you will have good idea of what the different aspects of climbing are and of course you'll have done loads of awesome routes too, with the desire to do loads more! We will also direct you to where you can go and learn more when the course is over.
Typical content of the course (this will vary with people's ability and progression):
- Meet at designated spot each week (determined by both weather and ideal crag location for that part of the course)
- Introduction to climbing equipment and how to use it correctly
- Safely putting on a harness and attaching to the rope
- Climbing techniques (for slabs, vertical walls and overhangs)
- Experience climbing in different mountain and quarry locations
- Belaying and lowering effectively and safely on bottom/top ropes
- Experience abseiling
- Bouldering and how to safely take part
- Understand climbing guide books and grading systems
- Gain knowledge of climbing opportunities in Ireland, the UK and abroad (clubs, governing bodies etc)
- 4 weeks of climbing instruction by experienced and fun Rock Climbing Instructors
- Use of all technical equipment
- First aid cover and insurance
- Digital pictures and videos of your course
What to Bring:
- Clothing and equipment on attached kit list (typically layered clothing, waterproofs, rucksack, etc)
- Completed Health Declaration & Registration Form
- Any medication you may need
- Snack and drink (Lunch for the full day)
- Loads of energy for climbing!!!!
Should government restrictions come into effect on the date of the course which would prevent us from running the activity, we will offer alternative dates on which to take part in the activity, or a credit note to the value of the missed activity, which can be used against any of our services or events.
- 4 Week Beginner Rock Climbing£190£1900£0